Wednesday, December 7, 2011

chili when it gets chilly

There's nothin' like a warm bowl of soup to sooth the soul during the cold winter months. As soon as the mercury drops, I am excited to start cooking some delicious chili.

I've tried a few different chili recipes, from scratch to store-bought mixes. My favorite stand-by thus far is the McCormick Slow Cookers chili seasoning. It's no-fuss and delicious. The recipe is actually provided on the back of the spice packet but I have made adjustments to add flavor and reduce calories. 


Ingredients [Recipe adapted from McCormick Slow Cookers Chili recipe]
1 packet of McCormick Slow Cookers chili seasoning
1 package of lean ground turkey
2 14.5-oz. cans of diced tomatoes, southwestern style [the recipe calls for regular diced tomatoes, but I like the spice of the peppers in addition to the other seasonings!]*
2 15-oz. cans of red kidney beans, drained*
1 15.5-oz. can tomato sauce*
*Ounces for canned ingredients might vary slightly depending on what brand you get.

Directions
1. Brown the ground turkey in a pan. I usually use the whole package, but if you don't want your chili to be super meaty, you can just use half a package.


2. Pour all of the canned ingredients in your slow cooker.

3. Add the seasoning packet and ground turkey, and stir until well combined.


4. Turn the slow cooker setting on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. I usually do three because I start cooking when I get home and can't wait the full 4 or I will be ravenous!

5. When time is up, serve chili in a mug [my favorite] or a bowl with some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream--whatever you want!


And there you have it! An easy peasy dinner recipe that makes great leftovers for the next few days. I easily get about 4-5 servings out of this recipe.

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, pretty please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...