Tuesday, May 28, 2013

simple fried rice + general tso's chicken


I haven't been keeping a running tally of the number of fried rice recipes I've tried. And honestly, it doesn't matter because I finally found "the one"!

While on my weekly grocery store trip, I was looking for a new way to eat chicken [a weekly dinner staple for the hubs and I.] A light bulb went off and I shuffled over to the international food aisle and tossed a few Asian sauces into my cart. The one I was most eager to try was the Archer Farms General Tso sauce [only 40 cal for two tbsp!] 

I searched and searched and finally settled on this recipe for fried rice--hey, I had to cook something from scratch since the chicken was going to be so darn easy. This meal was so fun and easy and best of all delicious. I'll definitely be making it again. Bonus: You can make the rice in bulk to have throughout the week! What's your favorite way to eat chicken? xo.

Simple Fried Rice

Ingredients
[4 servings]
Adapted from this food.com recipe
3/4 cup finely chopped onion [I had red onion on had so I just used that]
2 1/2 tbsp oil
1 egg [or more if you like]
2 tbps plus 3 drops low sodium soy sauce, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 cups cold cooked rice
4 green onions, chopped [I used dried chives instead]
1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed

Directions
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add chopped onions and stir-fry until onions turn brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from wok.
2. Allow wok to cool slightly. Mix egg with 3 drops of soy sauce. Set aside.
3. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to wok, swirling to coat surfaces. Add egg mixture; working quickly, swirl egg until egg sets against wok. When egg puffs, flip egg and cook other side briefly. Remove from wok and chop into small pieces.
4. Heat 1 tbps oil in wok; add carrots, peas, broccoli, and cooked onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add rice and green onions, tossing to mix well. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
6. Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and chopped egg to rice mixture and fold in. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Serve.



For the chicken, simply cook until the center is no longer pink. Cut into pieces and toss on a small skillet with the General Tso's sauce. I added a dash of soy sauce and a significant amount of crushed red pepper flakes for extra flavor. Let the sauce and chicken simmer a few minutes and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, pretty please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...